Recipe by James Muscat
- 1 medium-sized turkey, approx. 4.5kg
- 100gr melted butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp gravy mix
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Place rack in lowest position.
2. Make sure the turkey is thawed in advance, ideally in the refrigerator.
3. Remove the neck and giblets, and save these for your stock.
4. Place turkey, breast up, in a deep roasting pan.
5. Brush the skin with the melted butter. Season with salt & pepper.
6. Cover the turkey with aluminium foil. Place the turkey in the oven.
7. Prepare a turkey stock by simmering the giblets, carrots and onions.
8. Baste the turkey every thirty minutes with some stock and juices.
9. Remove foil after 2 ½ hours to allow for a golden colour.
10. When cooked, allow the turkey to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
11. Strain remaining juices and thicken with some gravy mix.
Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter. Remove wings. Use a carving knife and large fork to cut legs into thighs & drumsticks. Slice breast diagonally and serve a portion of both white and dark meat. Pour some gravy over the meat and serve immediately.
For more recipes, listen to Insellimlek by Sonia Young on RTK 103FM or watch on the live-stream.
Image by taste.com