President of Partit Nazzjonalista’s General Council Kirsty Debono has requested the commencement of the process to call for a General Council. Debonio requested this despite that in a statement she said that 84 out of the 200 signatures that were collected in order to call for an extraordinary General Council are invalid or belong to members who do not possess an updated membership.
A spokesperson for PN told Newsbook.com.mt that this means that the General Council has not been called for now. However, he explained that 2019 has not ended yet, and therefore, those who have not paid their 2019 membership can still do so, which would render their votes valid; obtaining the required 150 votes.
In a statement, Debono said that she received the petition signed by 200 people to call for an extraordinary General Council. She added that the necessary verification were made so that the process could be changed immediately. Debono stated that however, an extraordinary General Council can be called for if there is a petition favouring this change with more than 150 signatures signed by Council members.
She also added that included in the 84 votes which are invalid or do not possess an updated membership, 28 signatures belong to people who did not even have a right to sign as they are not General Council members.
According to Debono:
“From the 200 signatures that were presented, there are:
- 23 signatures which are invalid as the people who signed do not form part of the General Council
- 5 signatures are also invalid as the people that signed had refused to pay for the membership as requested by them, and therefore they are statutorily not members of the General Council.
And it also shows that:
- 14 persons which signed had last paid their memberships in 2017
- 41 persons from those who signed had last paid their memberships in 2018
- An individual case saw that the name and surname of an individual did not agree with the associated identity card number”
Yesterday, 200 signatures were presented in a petition towards Partit Nazzjonalista so that in a week’s time the General Council meets to discuss the motion calling for the resignation of PN’s Leader Adrian Delia.