Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
The dome of the Żurrieq Parish Church will be restored through an 80% co-financing from EU funds. The project will cost €70,000.
The details about the project were announced by the administrative secretary of the Maltese Archdiocese Michael Pace Ross, the parliamentary secretary for EU funds Stefan Zrinzo Azzopardi and the parish priest, Fr Karm Mercieca.
During a press conference on Saturday, details were given about the restoration works expected to take place on the dome, including the removal of the membrane and restoration works on wooden apertures.
The Parish Church was built between 1634 and 1659 on plans prepared by Matteolo Saliba, and was dedicated in 1731 by Bishop Alpheran de Bussan.
Archpriest Fr Karm Mercieca thanked the parliamentary secretariat for EU funds, the Foundation For Cultural Heritage Of The Archdiocese of Malta and all those involved. He remarked that he hopes that the architecture and art at this church continues to be an expression of our faith especially during these trying times.
Administrative secretary Pace Ross noted that the project was estimated at €70,000. The project would have not been possible if the Foundation for Cultural Heritage and the parliamentary secretariat did not collaborate on the project. The restoration works will be completed by the end of next year.
This is one of 32 restoration projects undertaken by the Archdiocese of Malta and for which European Regional Development Funds 2014-2020 are being used.
Parliamentary Secretary Stefan Zrinzo Azzopardi remarked that through this investment, the religio-cultural heritage at the Parish Church will be restored to be enjoyed by future generations.