Nine new Covid-19 cases; 13 more recovered

    Charmaine Gauci
    Miguela Xuereb

    Superintendent of Public Health Charmaine Gauci said that there were nine new COVID-19 cases whereas another 13 have fully recovered.

    In her daily updates, Prof Gauci explained that five were asymptomatic cases, which re-enforces the health authorities’ point that COVID-19 is spreading within the local community.

    She said that some restrictions were being relaxed but pandemic is far being declared as over.

    COVID-19 – Press Briefing 03-05-2020

    COVID-19 – Press Briefing 03-05-2020

    Posted by Covid19 Malta on Sunday, May 3, 2020
    13:20 Thank you for following us! Remember to subscribe to our WhatsApp alerts
    Christoph Schwaiger
    13:12 The Superintendent for Health Charmaine Gauci concluded that the health authorities are being very diligent in handling the present situation. She said the authorities are relaxing some of the measure that were put in force but they need the people's cooperation to go a step further to remove more restrictions. "If you want to return to the normal life, it's very important that everyone cooperates by following the measures we are putting in place. This should be done not because the measures are enforceable by law but because you should protect yourself and your loved ones. Stay in Stay safe".
    Christoph Schwaiger
    13:10 Prof Gauci warned that now that a number of people will returning to their working place, their children should stay at home, to expose the little ones to unnecessary risks.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    13:08 She explained people in changing rooms will not be allowed but they can take the clothes home with the shop owners' consent. However, if they are to be returned, these should be set aside for at least 72 hours.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    13:02 She said that Malta's success in keeping the number down owes much to government's measure to protect the elderly and vulnerable people.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:59 Shops opening tomorrow as the new directives were not asked to have their premises sanitized as the authorities believe enough time has passed since they were last open for business.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:58 Wearing a mask is compulsory in any shops as of tomorrow. Fines as per legal notice will be applied to people caught not wearing these masks.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:54 The Superintendent took some time to explain how the mask should be wear and invited the people given they with time on their hands, should try to sew it themselves.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:51 Prof Gauci went to great pains to explain that despite the authorities' decision to relax more measures, the pandemic was far from being considered over.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:49 Prof Gauci insisted that these new cases, especially those who had no symptoms proves the health authorities' point that COVID-19 is spreading within the local community.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:46 She explained that so far the number of people recovering in hospital are just 14.
    7 Boffa hospital
    5 San Tumas
    1 ITU
    1 Infectious Diseases Unit at MDH
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:45 Total number of tests amount to 35,012.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:44 Malta’s total number of active cases down to 81 from 96 as 13 fully recovered from COVID-19. Malta’s total cases of COVID-19 now sits at 477, with the recoveries numbering 392.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:42 Two other persons- 18 -year man and a 35-year-old woman had symptoms.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:41 Two other people were tested as a pre-op procedures and resulted positive. These were a 19-year-old woman and 25-year-old man.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:38 Prof Gauci said that of these 9 cases, five had no symptoms. These included a 29-year-old Student whose family and friends are now being tested. A 27-year-old and 30-year-old men who were tested through contact testing. Likewise. the Spanish girl had no symptoms.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:37 Of these nine cases, eight were Maltese and a 21-year-old Spanish girl.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:35 Prof. Gauci announced that following a staggering 1,071 tests performed during the last 24 hours, the Health Authorities discovered 9 new cases.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:28 As of tomorrow, several non-essential retail stores will be allowed to reopen under certain conditions, like ensuring that everyone who enters the outlet wears a mask and shops providing sanitizers.
    Christoph Schwaiger
    12:26 Good afternoon and welcome to this Newsbook.com.mt live blog. Superintendent for Public Health Charmaine Gauci will deliver the latest updates on Malta’s COVID-19 situation at 12:30pm this afternoon.

    One coronavirus case was detected after 944 swab tests were carried out yeseterday. The Superintendent of Public Health Professor Charmaine Gauci announced that another 12 individuals have successfully recovered, meaning that a total of 85 active cases remain.

    A 27-year-old Sudanese man residing at Ħal Far open centre tested positive to coronavirus during the random tests. The open centre remains under mandatory quarantine, however, since the health authorities have been isolating the individuals who tested positive, not all residents will finish their quarantine at the same time.
    Christoph Schwaiger

    If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.