Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
A rather emotional and tearful Janet Walker said that her niece will be celebrating her First Holy Communion on Sunday without a dress as it is inside the unsafe house from which she ran out this morning at 8am.
She also said that all they have is the shorts and t-shirts that they are wearing and was asking where they are all going to sleep tonight.
Whilst talking to the reporters on site, Janet Walker was describing what happened earlier in the day. How she saw the collapsed wall in their kitchen and how she helped her elderly mother downstairs and outside to safety.
Janet Walker also explained that in the past she had posted her concerns on the construction site next door on social media, had talked to the Buildings Regulations Office (BRO) and “MEPA” referring to the Planning Authority, who told her to contact a lawyer and she feels she did all she could from her end to no avail. She was even told that she was exaggerating and now she is unfortunately able to prove her point as her worries turned into reality.
MDA expresses shock
The Malta Developers Association (MDA) has declared its shock at the news that a building next to yet another construction site, this time in Ħamrun has partly collapased. From his end, the Commissioner for Environment and Planning, Perit Alan Saliba had also lodged his concerns to the Prime Minister urging action on the matter.
A similar incident happened earlier in the year in which a building collapsed next to a construction site.
Only a few days ago a three storey building collapsed in Mellieha. A 77 year old woman was rescued from the rubble by the CPD.
At the end of last month, the Infrastructure Minister Ian Borg was asked about the progress of the new building and construction industry regulator. He told Opposition MP Karol Aquilina that the progress was still ongoing.