The European Commission’s (EC) President, Jean-Claude Juncker, has presented the initiatives that the EC will be working on during the next 8 months, up until the European elections.
MEPs Miriam Dalli and Roberta Metsola discussed the initiatives with Newsbook.com.mt.
Miriam Dalli, part of the Progressive Alliance of Socalists and Democrats in the EU Parliament listed these priorities:
- Immigration. However, Dalli is scepticabout the proposals put forward about the issue.
- Partnering with Africa. According to Dalli, the proposal must still be ironed out.
- Ad hoc measures for other countries’ aid.
MEP Metsola, part of the European People’s Party, listed these priorities:
- Security. The EU will be budgeting funds specifically to address this issue.
- An agreement marking immigration as a European problem.
- Agreements with Africa so that people may return to their countries.
- Journalists’ right to free speech, to assure that politicians are held accountable.
Newsbook.com.mt also went live from Strasbourg with MEPs David Casa and Marlene Mizzi to discuss the proposals put forward by Juncker.