Updated: Marathon Malta deciding on tomorrow’s race, tonight

Marathon Malta has said on its Facebook page that it will be making a decision tonight on whether tomorrow’s annual marathon should go ahead.

With the weather set to worsen over the next hours, the organization says that it will be holding a meeting tonight at 7PM with the authorities, to decide whether to go ahead or postpone the race.

They say that they will be announcing the decision on social media, at 8PM.

Robert Brincau, the Director of Operations at the Malta Red Cross told Newsbook.com.mt that the annual marathon will be cancelled in case of bad weather.  Brincau said that in the last 39 years of the marathon, it had never been cancelled in Malta.

Watch: “Marathon might be cancelled” – Brincau

Robert Brincau, the Director of Operations at the Malta Red Cross said that the annual marathon will be cancelled in case of bad weather. Brincau stated that for the past 39 years since the marathon has been held, it was never cancelled in Malta.

Brincau explained that due to strong NE winds, heavy rains, hail and thunderstorms, it would be best to cancel the marathon to avoid taking unwanted safety risks. He explained that at the moment they kept a close eye on the current weather situation and would be deciding accordingly.

Brincau urged the public to keep themselves updated through social media and the event’s page Malta Marathon which will be updated accordingly.

Video: Luke Zerafa.