Watch: Man seriously injured after he fell in Republic Street

An 81-year-old man was seriously injured after he fell in Great Siege Square, Republic Street, Valletta. The man who was in Great Siege Square with another 73-year-old man, both from Valletta, had an argument with the activists who were putting flowers and candles reclaiming their protest spot on the newly unveiled monument following three months of “restoration works”. The monument has been used as a sign of protest since 18 October 2017, two days following the assassination of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.

In a statement the police said that they were informed around 3.45pm on Saturday. The man was taken to hospital in an ambulance where he was later certified to be suffering from serious injuries.

Newsbook.com.mt arrived on site shortly after the incident happened. Sources on site told Newsbook.com.mt that the man was aggressive towards the activists placing candles and flowers. The footage of which Newsbook.com.mt is in possession, shows the man attacking the activists with lawyer Andrew Borg Cardona telling the man not to touch any of the activists. The elderly man can be seen spitting at the activists and trying to take away the mobile of the activist filming him.

According to Times of Malta journalist who was on site before the incident occurred, the man “took a swing at one of them” and fell over hitting his head.

The man was taken to hospital in an ambulance which was called by the activists themselves.

Labour MP Silvio Parnis told the police telling them that the elderly man had been pushed, a version which contradicts what the activists have said.

Newly formed civil society organisation Repubblika in a short statement on Facebook said that a police report was filed.

Illum ghall-habta ta’ l-3:45pm attivisti kienu qeghdin ipoggu fjuri u xemghat quddiem il-monument ta’ l-Assedju l-Kbir….

Posted by Repubblika on Saturday, December 8, 2018