Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Tourism Minister Julia Farrugia Portelli said that she only got to know on Monday about the lucrative contract given to disgraced former Tourism Minister Konrad Mizzi by the Malta Tourism Authority.
On Monday, Times of Malta revealed that Mizzi was awarded an €80,000 consultancy contract two weeks after he resigned as a minister.
Mizzi had resigned in the wake of the arrest of Electrogas director, 17 Black owner and Daphne Caruana Galizia murder suspect Yorgen Fenech.
Farrugia Portelli stressed that the contract was signed before she was appointed a minister. She added that she will take a decision on the matter in the coming hours after she receives legal advice on the €80,000 per year consultancy awarded to her. The incoming minister has also asked for the contracts awarded over the last weeks.
Times of Malta revealed that the contract which was kept under wraps until it was published by the media, was dated 9 December. The consultancy was awarded at a time when no tourism minister was in place since then prime minister Joseph Muscat did not appoint a replacement for Mizzi. The disgraced former Tourism Minister is set to receive €80,000 a year in remuneration. According to the National Statistics Office the average wage in Malta is at €19,400 per year.
On Monday, the Government named Konrad Mizzi as head of the Maltese delegation of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The appointment was withdrawn within hours amid calls for people to return to the streets and protest on Wednesday.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Government said that it was seeking legal advice on the consultancy contract given to Mizzi in December 2019.