Watch: ‘Coronavirus case will not have any affect on MDH operations’ – CEO

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

Mater Dei Hospital will continue operating in the same way it always did, its CEO Dr Celia Falzon told Newsbook.com.mt.

On Saturday morning, the first patient tested positive to coronavirus on Malta. The 12-year-old girl had returned with her family from Rome and was being kept in isolation at Mater Dei Hospital. Her family was also isolated as a precautionary measure. A second person was under mandatory quarantine despite testing negative. However, the person had been in close contact with a person who later tested positive abroad.

Addressing questions made by members of the public, Dr Falzon said that the necessary precautionary measures were taken to isolate the case. She added that patients who have contracted infectious diseases are treated without any problems at Mater Dei Hospital on a regular basis.

“The Coronavirus case will not have any affect on Mater Dei Hospital operations,” she assured.

Dr Falzon said that however at present they are urging people who do not need to come to hospital to not to. Dr Falzon said that presently the staff at Mater Dei is being more stringent to ensure that people do not turn up at hospital unnecessarily. They’re urging all those who have an appointment at Mater Dei’s outpatient department to only be accompanied by one relative. Further, only two visitors at a time are being allowed near patients hospitalized at Mater Dei, only two individuals are being allowed to avoid crowding.

This is done to avoid unnecessary crowding at the hospital as well as unnecessary traffic.

Dr Falzon also told Newsbook.com.mt that screening might be introduced at Mater Dei Hospital. People who have been to countries deemed high risk and turn up at hospital would then be screened. This measure is still being discussed. Such a measure would stop people who might have contracted the virus from entering Mater Dei and will be guided accordingly.

“We’re trying to limit unnecessary visits to hospital,” Dr Falzon said. “Those who require treatment including outpatients and others should not worry. We will continue providing health care to every one,” Mater Dei CEO told Newsbook.com.mt.

Dr Chris Barbara, the chairperson of Mater Dei Hospital, said that the health authorities had increased the number of swabbing when the number of coronavirus cases increased in neighboring countries and other European countries.

Speaking to Newsbook.com.mt, Dr Barbara explained that since the case definition was widened, the public health authorities increased the number of swab tests carried out on individuals. Further, any patients admitted to Mater Dei Hospital with respiratory problems were automatically tested for coronavirus.