In view of the risks posed by hosting a mass event during the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Book Council (NBC)’s Malta Book Festival will not be taking place in its traditional brick-and-mortar form, but will be moving online.
The NBC is working towards delivering the same level of experiences between readers, authors and publishers that the community has come to expect of the Malta Book Festival, but in a shape that reflects all the latest guidance and safety protocols.
In this series, Coryse Borg speaks to the local publishing houses which are taking part in the Malta Book Festival 2020 virtual edition.
In today’s episode, Joseph Borg of Sensiela Kotba Socjalisti and Massimo Sarti, director of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura speak about the events that they are organising during this year’s festival.
Sensiela Kotba Socjalisti‘s events include ‘A Hundred Years of Youth’ – a discussion about the 20 year period (1940-1960) of the Labor Party as they are presented, historically, politically and sociologically, in the second volume of Francis Galea’s L-Istorja tal-Partit Laburista, as well as the launch of the second volume of the history of the Labour Party in Malta, researched and written by Francis Galea.
The Istituto Italiano di Cultura has several events planned. Some of the events will be held in Italian.
- Conversation with the author of the book Vado a vivere a Malta, Carlo Morrone, introduced by Massimo Sarti.
- A conversation with the author of the book Il ruolo geopolitico di Malta nel contesto euromediterraneo (Morrone), Silvio Aliffi, and Arnold Cassola.
- A conversation with the author of the book Crossroads, un tuffo nella vita (Drago, 2019), Alice Pasquini and the publisher, introduced by Massimo Sarti.
- Conversation with the author of La guerra fascista. Dalla vigilia all’armistizio, l’Italia nel secondo conflitto mondiale Gianni Oliva and Giovanni Firera (President of the Associazione Vitaliano Brancati) with an introduction by Massimo Sarti.
- Conversation with the author of the novel Carne mangia carne, Andrea Monticone and Giovanni Firera with an introduction by Massimo Sarti.
- Conversation with the author of the novel Il procuratore e la bella dormiente by Giorgio Vitari and Giovanni Firera with an introduction by Massimo Sarti.
- La Divina Commedia which will be published in 2021, on the occasion of the 700th anniversary of Dante’s death. The conversation includes Alfred Palma, the translator, Joseph Mizzi, the publisher, Richard Muscat from Fondazzjoni AŻAD and Massimo Sarti.
- A conversation with Isabella Ellul Cefai, translator into Italian of a classic of Maltese literature, Leli ta’ Ħaż-Żgħir by Ġużè Ellul Mercer. The discussion will also include the participation of Carlo Morrone (the publisher), Charles Briffa (University of Malta), Arnold Cassola and Simona Cassano from the National Book Council.
The Malta Book Festival will take place between the 11th and 15th November. The full programme may be accessed here.
This series produced by Newsbook.com.mt was made possible thanks to a grant by the National Book Council