Vitals deal received Cabinet backing, Mizzi recalls

Miguela Xuereb

In the wake of a damning report by the National Audit Office which found evidence of collusion between the government and Vitals ahead of the company being granted a concession on three public hospitals, then-Health Minister Konrad Mizzi insisted that Cabinet was collectively responsible for that deal.

Mizzi – now an independent MP after the Labour Party kicked him out, though he nevertheless has continued to pledge loyalty – took to Facebook to point out that the conclusions of the evaluation committee, as well as the contract that had been signed, had been approved by Cabinet.

F’rapport ippubblikat illum, l-Awditur Ġenerali esprima tħassib dwar MOU li kien ġie ffirmat fl-2014 bejn il-gvern u xi…

Posted by Konrad Mizzi on Tuesday, July 7, 2020

“In fact, the Cabinet was involved at all stages of the process and approved all contract signed,” he said.

The disgraced former minister noted that the Auditor General had expressed concern about a memorandum of understanding signed by the government and a number of investors behind Vitals in 2014, ahead of the granting of the concession. He insisted that he neither signed nor had access to this memorandum.

The NAO lamented that it had not been granted access to this MOU, and insisted that the government should publish it with immediate effect to remove all doubts.

Mizzi also noted that Malta Enterprise had presented the project envisioned in the MOU to the Health Ministry. But he said that the Health Ministry told ME that the proposal discussed did not seem to make sense in light of Malta’s public health system.

“I am informed that the original investors were informed of this in writing by Malta Enterprise. I believe that the Auditor General should have full access to this documentation,” he said.