Visits to old people’s homes stopped

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The visits to all old people’s home have been stopped, the Social Solidarity Ministry announced on Thursday. This measure comes into force with immediate effect.

This precautionary measure is being taken to stop the spread of coronavirus.

The ban on visitors applies to all homes for the elderly and homes for people with disabilities whether run by the state, the church or the private sector. It also includes St Vincent de Paul. The ban comes five days after visiting hours were reduced.

Elderly people are the most at risk of complications should they contract coronavirus, data in countries with many confirmed coronavirus cases has shown.

The Ministry said that visitors will only be allowed into the elderly homes on recommendation of the nursing officer or the head of the relevant home. A serious medical situation would justify an exception.

Any visitors will be subjected to the same checks as introduced recently.

Earlier on Thursday, the government said schools will be closed for a week from tomorrow.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.