Travel restrictions between two islands are needed – Said

Beppe Galea

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The health authorities have been urged to restrict the travel between Malta and Gozo, by the Opposition spokesperson for Gozo, Chris Said.

In a Facebook post, Said voiced his constituents’ concerns saying that many have approached him to express their worry about the number of people who decided to cross over to Gozo in order to spend Sunday there. Many Maltese have reportedly visited the sister island, despite the health authorities urging people to practise social distancing in an attempt to curb the local transmission of the novel coronavirus.

From Thursday, the police were empowered to disperse crowds larger than five people. Such crowds would be where people would spontaneously congregate. Public gatherings have already been banned.

Said said that while under normal circumstances everyone would be welcomed at Gozo, due to the pandemic people should not travel unnecessarily to Gozo.

Patients who test positive for coronavirus in Gozo are brought over to Malta on a chartered ferry.

Minister for Gozo Clint Camilleri has repeatedly urged the public to avoid unnecessary travel between the two islands. Passengers are being screened before allowed on board the ferry. Tourist boats have been banned from operating due to the outbreak.

WASAL IL-MUMENT GHAL AKTAR RESTRIZZJONIJIET FUQ MIN JISTA' JAQSAM BEJN IL-GZEJJERHafna kellmuni dwar ammont…

Posted by Chris Said on Sunday, 29 March 2020

So far 151 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Malta.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.