Transport Malta has retracted its decision on closing down showrooms of authorised car dealers as from Saturday 28 March within hours. The initial statement informing that showrooms of authorised car dealers will be shut down from tomorrow was sent at 5:55pm on Friday. However in a separate statement sent at 7.16pm, Transport Malta said it has revoked its decision with immediate effect.
The new directive by Transport Malta will hit showrooms which sell both new and second-hand vehicles.
Establishments which sell ancillary products like garages, sprayers, panel-beaters and outlets which sell spare parts can remain open, Transport Malta said.
The measure will apply until further notice.
Earlier, Transport Malta announced that driving lessons have been suspended until further notice. Driving tests had already been suspended last week.
On Friday afternoon, Public Health Superintendent Professor Charmaine Gauci announced five new confirmed coronavirus cases in Malta which brought the total up to 139. Two patients are receiving treatment in intensive care. So far, only two patients recovered fully.
From tomorrow, new measures will come into force placing a quarter of the population under lockdown in a bid to stop local transmission.
If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.