Thirteenth coronavirus-related death registered in Malta

Miguela Xuereb

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

An 89-year-old man has died after testing positive for coronavirus on Tuesday. This is the thirteenth coronavirus-related death registered in Malta.

In a statement, the Health Ministry said that the man had been admitted to Mater Dei Hospital on 23 August due to an unrelated health matter. The man had initially tested negative but was placed in isolation after having been a direct contact of a person who tested positive in the community.

The health authorities said that the man was discharged on 31 August without any coronavirus-related symptoms.

His health worsened and he was rushed to the Emergency department. The man then tested positive to coronavirus. He died on Tuesday.

The ministry expressed its condolences to the man’s family, and appealed to the public to continue following the advice of the health authorities.

On Tuesday the health authorities reported 26 new coronavirus cases in Malta and a total of 53 recoveries, bringing the number of active cases down to 444.

Tuesday’s coronavirus bulletin
Coronavirus: 26 new cases and 53 recoveries

On Sunday, an 86-year-old man died due to coronavirus, becoming the twelfth victim within 24 hours.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.