Malta International Airport (MIA) is advising passengers to be at the airport earlier than usual on Sunday 19th August as air traffic will be reaching a maximum high of 180 landings and take-offs, with around 28,000 passengers going through the airport.
MIA is also reminding passengers to be aware of the following for security purposes:
- Accessories – where possible avoid belts, watches and jewellery because of metal detectors.
- Buckles and laces – avoid shoes with laces and/or buckles
- Liquids – only 100ml containers are allowed in hand luggage to a maximum of one litre (1000ml) in a plastic sealable bag of 20x20cms.
- Medicine – medicine in liquid form including syringes and cold packs may be carried in the hand luggage even if they exceed the 100ml limit. A medical prescription needs to be provided.
- Electronic Equipment – need to be taken out of hand luggage and passed through X-ray machine at security check points.
- Empty pockets – empty all your pockets at security checkpoints.
- Food – non-liquid food is allowed in hand luggage. Baby food is allowed.
- Gifts – it is advisable to leave gifts unwrapped in hand luggage. Toy pistols will be confiscated.
- Hair Styling Equipment – may be carried in hand luggage.