Now that the Main Guard building has been almost vacated, the delicate restoration process within Valletta’s Main Guard has reached an important stage, with Heritage Malta’s experts being able to double down on the necessary works to open the site to the public.
Agreement signed by Archdiocese and Restoration Directorate
The project, with a total investment of €28 million, €10 million of which are co-funded via the ERDF, aims to comprehensively carry out an extensive restoration program of the entire palace and to render most areas of the palace accessible to the public.
The inauguration and official opening of the Grand Masters’ Crypt was held on Tuesday 3rd March 2020, at St John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta.
The small church dedicated to St Paul in Valley Road Birkirkara had the marouflage painted ceiling by Prof Giuseppe Briffa and decorations extensively conserved and restored through Bank of Valletta’s support. The restored ceiling was inaugurated on the 21st January.
The north facing facade of Żejtun Parish Church was the best preserved since it is the least exposed to wetting and drying cycles. However it was covered in moss and lichens which were removed during the works.
The dome was first unveiled in 1949, just four years after the end of the Second World War. Then Parish Priest of St George's and Archpriest of the Cathedral Church, Mgr Michael Cefai had instructed Roman painter Gian Battista Conti to paint episodes from the Book of the Apocalypse. Conti also painted the four paintings of a triangular shape beneath the dome known as the lunetti which represent the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope and Love together with Sacrifice. The dome of St George’s Basilica was inaugurated by Bishop Giuseppe Pace.
The applicant hoping to create a boutique hotel in Saqqajja Rabat, explains that the public have been ‘misled about what the application actually meant.’Speaking...