‘Ta’ Maksar tried to buy il-Koħħu’s silence’ – ToM and MT

Kohhu-Vince-Muscat
Reuters

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

Vince Muscat’s family was offered money to prevent him from disclosing information which could implicate the suppliers of the bomb used to assassinate investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.

This was revealed by Times of Malta and Malta Today, in a joint report published on Sunday.

Vince Muscat known as il-Koħħu stands accused of murdering journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia, along with brothers Alfred and George Degiorgio. The three men were charged in December 2017 with the murder.

The suspected hitman Vince Muscat, has given the police information about unsolved cases and made a request for presidential pardon, several times and the pardoned middleman’s name, Melvin Theuma’s was first dropped by Muscat.

It was revealed how Muscat told the police that Robert Agius and Jamie Vella, had supplied them with the explosive device. The two allegedly form part of a gang.

In December 2019 and in February this year, pardoned middleman Melvin Theuma, in his testimony during the compilation of evidence against Yorgen Fenech who stands accused of complicity in Daphne’s assassination, said that Fenech has asked him to find and contact a family known as Ta’ Maksar. Theuma says he does not know this family. Melvin Theuma had also testified how he always heard Yorgen Fenech say the bomb to kill Daphne was made by Ta’ Maksar, a family from Zebbug, Malta.

Robert Agius, together with his brother Adrian and Jamie Vella were among the 10 men arrested in 2017 suspected as being used to plot and execute the murder.All three were released without charge days later.

According to the new emerging details, it was last year, when one of Muscat’s family members was approached by Agius and Vella offering Muscat’s family, €1,500 per month if Vince Muscat does not mention them in relation to Daphne’s murder and other crimes.

Muscat’s lawyer Marc Sant confirmed the offer was made and said it had been refused. Sant said the police showed “little interest” in the information about the attempt to silence Muscat.

Times of Malta and Malta Today reported that sources said the police have not dedicated many of its resources to investigate who supplied the bomb as lately their main focus is on those who have commissioned the murder. However, with the help of Europol, the Police are working to bring to justice the men believed to have supplied the bomb which killed the journalist.

It was also reported that Maltese police have identified Robert and Adrian Agius as “high-value targets”. Both are the heads of a crime group.

Theuma’s testimony in December
Shocking testimony from Melvin Theuma