St Philp’s offering use of hospital for Covid-19 patients

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The owner of St Philip’s hospital, Dr Frank Portelli has offered 300 beds at the hospital in Santa Venera to the government to be used to treat patients with coronavirus.

“We are ready to offer the hospital building to the Maltese people on a non-profit basis,” Dr Portelli said on Facebook.

On Tuesday it emerged that the government intends to build a prefabricated field hospital after the Ministry for Health issued a call for offers of purchase, delivery and installation of a prefabricated hospital that can cater for over 90 patients. The sole criterion for the hospital will be the price, and the entity to submit the cheapest price offer that also satisfies the administrative and technical criteria will be awarded the tender. The deadline is Thursday 27 March at noon.

Meanwhile the number of confirmed cases went up to 129 on Wednesday after nineteen individuals tested positive for coronavirus. While some patients were being treated at hospital, most patients were being treated at their home. A 61-year-old man remains in intensive therapy unit.

Reacting to the news of the prefabricated hospital, Dr Portelli offered the use of St Philip’s.

He explained that the lease agreement could be based on the framework of the previously agreed lease agreement struck with the government, adding that this would be adjusted as per the cost of living and property values.

Furthermore, Dr Portelli said that the hospital could be refurbished to the government’s requirement at cost. He explained that the required refurbishment would be completed in eight weeks initially to treat up to 120 patients while an extension of facilities to 300 beds can be completed in a further eight weeks.

“We do this because I have always believed that patients come before politics and that is the only condition we make,” Dr Portelli wrote on Facebook.

23 March 2020St Philip's Hospital I refer to recent statements on St Philips Hospital in the current crisis caused…

Posted by Frank Portelli on Tuesday, 24 March 2020

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.