Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Former police deputy commissioner Silvio Valletta denied warning Yorgen Fenech – the former Tumas Group CEO accused of ordering the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia – about a police raid on murder plot middleman Melvin Theuma, as Theuma had alleged in Court.
In a brief statement to the press, Valletta said that he could not even have done so, as he was no longer in the police force when Theuma was arrested.
Theuma – who received a presidential pardon on the recommendation of former PM Joseph Muscat – was testifying in the compilation of evidence against Fenech on Monday. He claimed that Fenech had been warned about the impending raid by Valletta and by Muscat’s chief of staff Keith Schembri.
Valletta insists he could not even have known about raid
“If this was truly claimed in Court, then it is an outright lie,” Valletta said in reaction.
“I repeat that I was removed from the case on 15 June 2018, and left the Police Force in November 2018. The raid took place in 2019. I never could have even known this information.”
Valletta did not rule out taking further action over the claims.
Last January, The Times of Malta had revealed that Valletta had travelled abroad with Fenech on September 2018, when Fenech had already been identified as a person of interest in the Caruana Galizia murder investigation.
The fallout from these revelations let his wife, MP Justyne Caruana, to resign from the post of Gozo Minister, just days after she was confirmed to the position by new PM Robert Abela.