Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Sicilians returning to Sicily from Malta will have to undergo quarantine upon their arrival and take a swab test at the end of the period according to a new legal notice signed on Wednesday.
The new measures were announced by the Sicilian governor Nello Musumeci during TGR Rai Sicilia.
Others travelling to Sicily from Malta, Spain and Greece will have to register themselves with the local health authorities on siciliasicura.com.
The decision comes after a group of youths who had been holidaying in Malta tested positive for coronavirus upon their return. The news confirms earlier reports by the Italian news agency ANSA.
Musumeci reminded the public of the obligatory use of masks in public places where social distancing was not possible.
Sicily preparing to introduce mandatory swabs for those travelling from Malta
The Italian health ministry said Tuesday that Italy has registered 412 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours. That compares to the 259 new cases reported on Monday.
Monday’s contagion figure is frequently lower than that for other days of the week because fewer swabs are taken on Sundays.
Only two regions did not register any new cases – Valle d’Aosta and Molise.
Sicily had the highest number of new COVID-19 cases, 89, followed by Lombardy, the hardest-hit region, with 68 and Veneto with 65.
Italian news agency ANSA is reporting that Sicilian authorities are preparing to introduce mandatory swabbing on persons entering Sicily from Malta, Spain and Greece. The ministry said six COVID-19 sufferers have died in Italy in the last 24 hours, up from four on Monday.
Italy’s coronavirus death toll now stands at 35,215.
The number of people currently positive for the coronavirus here is 13.561, up 193 in a day. Of those, 12.711 are in isolation at home (up 168), 49 are in intensive care (up three) and 801 are in other hospital departments (up 22). The ministry said 202,461 people have recovered from COVID-19 here, up 213.
The total number of confirmed cases in Italy, including the deceased, the recovered and the currently positive, is 251,237.
Obligatory for holidaymakers returning from Greece, Spain and Malta to have a coronavirus swab
Emilia-Romagna Governor Stefano Bonaccini is set to sign an ordinance making it obligatory for holidaymakers returning from Greece, Spain and Malta to have a coronavirus swab as of Wednesday, sources said.
As a result, people returning from vacations in these three countries will have to immediately report their arrival to their local health authority. They will then have a swab within 24 hours. They will not be obligated to go into quarantine if the result is negative.
Quarantine in Puglia
Those returning to Puglia from Greece, Malta and Spain will have to stay in mandatory quarantine.
The announcement from the governor of Puglia Michele Emiliano was made in the light of the fact that Greece, Malta, Spain: in the last two days the region has recorded numerous cases of positive results at Covid19 after returning from these countries.
If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.