School resources are being printed for those without internet or computer access

Schools
Photo by: Unsplash

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The Education Ministry is printing resource packs and delivering them directly to the household of children who lack internet or computer access, the permanent secretary of the Education Ministry has told Newsbook.com.mt.

Due to the coronavirus outbreak in Malta, all educational institutions have been closed down initially to 17 April and then extended until June. Many schools are currently using online platforms so that students do not miss out from their scholastic year.

Newsbook.com.mt in questions sent to the Education Ministry asked how many students lacked internet access and how many students lacked an access to a computer where they could follow their online classes. This newsroom also asked what measures are being taken in such cases where students lack access.

In his reply, Dr Fabri said that the ministry was following the situation and that it was taking a number of measures in order to mitigate the situation.

‘Amongst these the Ministry is printing resource packs which are being delivered directly to the household of these students,’ Dr Fabri replied.

The Ministry however did not provide the number of students attending state schools that lack access.

On Saturday, Education Minister Owen Bonnici announced a number of measures related to the impact of coronavirus to the education sector. Apart from the closure of schools and all educational institutions until June, the Ministry announced that Year 4 will be promoted to Year 5, and Year 5 to Year 6. Further the benchmark will not be carried out but students in Year 6 will be assessed on their performance until schools were closed.

Meanwhile those in Secondary school will see students in Form 1, 2, 3 and 4 promoted to the next level. O’Levels have been cancelled and instead O’ Levels will be based on a predictive assessment based on the mock exams. The MATSEC board will assess. Students will be graded level 2 or 3 according to their performance in the mock examinations. Further students who were to sit for their O’ levels will have the option to sit for the September session. Meanwhile A’ Levels have been postponed to September 2020. Some of the exams will start in August 2020. All students will receive the timetables. The resit session will be held in December. All the students who need to sit for a resit will be allowed to begin the next academic year – pending resit exams result

So far 151 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Malta. Four patients are currently being treated at the Intensive Therapy Unit at Mater Dei Hospital with one patient who is breathing with the help of a ventilator. The latter’s condition has been described as critical by the health authorities.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.