Schembri drops libel case against The Malta Independent

FILE PHOTO: Keith Schembri, Chief of Staff in the office of Malta's Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, arrives for a joint news conference between Muscat and President of the European Council Donald Tusk in Valletta, Malta, March 31, 2017. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi/File Photo

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

The ex-Chief of Staff of the Prime Minister Keith Schembri dropped the libel case against The Malta Indepedent about an article which alleged that his company in the British Virgin Islands had received €750,000 in 2014.

Today, Magistrate Victor Axiaq was informed that Schembri signed a letter which said that he was going to drop the libel case. The lawyer of the newspaper, Peter Fenech, had not been informed of this and he only got to know when he went to Court for today’s hearing.

In the latest hearing about the case, which took place last December, Schembri failed to appear in Court. His lawyer, Andrew Sciberras, had said formally that he shall not keep on defending him in Court.

The article entitled “Three quarters of a million transferred into PM’s Chief of Staff BVI company in 2014” had been published on the 15th September 2016.