Six students attending three different schools within the San Ġorġ Preca College network have been found to be infected with scabies.
A Ministry of Education spokesperson confirmed with Newsbook.com.mt that there two reported cases in each of the three schools. The spokesperson also said that no other cases were reported in other schools.
She also explained how the reported schools have taken the following action:
- The Department of Health was duly informed;
- The schools communicated with the families of the students suffering from the disease;
- Information from the Health department was circulated around all the parents whose children are in the same class as the infected students;
- The classes have been disinfected;
- Toys brought to school by the students have been returned to the parents to be washed and kept at home until further instructions;
Scabies is a contagious skin infestation caused by mites that burrow into the skin to live and deposit eggs.