Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Police Inspector Edmond Cuschieri will head the Traffic Section, Newsbook.com.mt has learnt.
An internal investigation into the Traffic Section led to around two-thirds of the unit either resigning or being suspended over alleged overtime abuse and fraud.
A police spokesperson told this newsroom that Assistant Commissioner Nezren Grixti who heads two units – the Rapid Intervention Unit and the Special Intervention Unit will be also heading the Traffic Unit. This means that Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cassar will no longer head the section.
Over the past few days, it was reported that Police Inspector Gabriel Micallef will head the Unit. However, The Sunday Times of Malta reported that although it was suggested that Micallef would take charge of the unit, the decision was quickly withdrawn following criticism.
12 new recruits for the depleted Unit
Over 30 police officers have been placed on police bail in connection to the overtime racket. However, to date no one was arraigned. Some seven officers have resigned from their post and their resignation was accepted.
An internal call for police officers to join the section was launched last month. A police spokesperson confirmed that a total of 12 officers and a police inspector have been recruited.
The police spokesperson told this newsroom that all new recruits within the Traffic Section will be given the necessary theoretical and practical training. The new traffic police officers will also receive training from foreign experts.
The investigation into the alleged overtime racket and fraud is still ongoing.