Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Partit Nazzjonalista said it has taken note of the ceasefire which was announced on Friday by the Libyan UN-recognised government.
The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) announced a ceasefire across the country on Friday. It called for demilitarizing the contested city of Sirte and called for parliamentary and presidential elections to be held in March. It also called for an end to an oil blockade imposed by rival forces earlier this year.
In a statement on Saturday signed by Opposition spokesperson for foreign affairs Carm Mifsud Bonnici and the party’s international secretary, the PN said that it took note of the declarations made on Friday, stressing that this was a step in the right direction. The civil war has raged on for some nine years.
Libya was plunged into chaos when a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 toppled longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi, who was later killed. The country has since split between rival east and west-based administrations, each backed by armed groups and foreign governments.
Following lengthy negotiations involving various foreign governments, the warring factions agreed on a ceasefire.
The European Union welcomed the announcement, with its High Representative Josep Borrell saying it was “positive news coming from Libya”. He added that it was crucial that all parties stand by their statements.