Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
The Planning Authority has approved a 15-storey tower in Ta’ Xbiex on Thursday. Only NGO representative Annick Bonello voted against the proposed development.
In a statement, the Planning Authority said that it granted planning permission for the development of a business tower within an area “which is in dire need of regeneration following years of neglect and social problems”.
The proposed development has a footprint of 839m² and is located close to the Metropolis project. It includes underground parking facilities, offices and catering facilities. The PA said that more than 55%of the site at the ground floor level will be a public open space.
Despite former Prime Minister Joseph Muscat having laid the foundation stone at the Metropolis project, the project is yet to materialise.
Ta’ Xbiex local council said that the residents were in favour of the project as it will serve to regenerate and upgrade the area.
The Board imposed a Planning Gain of €120,500 will be used to fund urban and environmental improvement projects within the locality and another €50,000 in contribution to the artistic fund.
Board approves development permission for works in Qormi
The Planning Authority said that the board has also granted development permission for works to commence for the excavation of a site across the road from the Centreparc Shopping Mall, limits of Qormi. The site which is within the development boundaries and is zoned for commercial development had been granted an outline development permit some years back.
The work includes the construction of two underground parking levels. It was explained that the site was subject to extensive archaeological investigations and studies to determine which structures are to be retained. The consultations were carried out with the Superintendent of Cultural Heritage and a restoration method statement was approved.
“The old agricultural building, the reservoirs and a stone-wall canal system will be preserved in their locations and restored, while the water-shoot will be dismantled and relocated further down the site. A number of accretions will be removed,” the Planning Authority said.
A transport impact study was also carried out and approved by Transport Malta.
The board said that the development permit was being granted without prejudice to the proposed project which was still at a preliminary stage of being processed.
The Planning Authority said that the applicant submitted new plans proposing a change to the project description. In the new plans, the 13-storey commercial block has been downsized to a five-storey office block.