Over 3,500 contraband cigarettes have been seized during inspections on outlets across Malta last week.
Customs officials say that inspections were carried out on 23 outlets including supermarkets, bars and restaurants in the localities of Gzira, Qormi, St Julian’s, Sliema, Valletta and Paola.
They add that in addition to cigarettes, the officials also found a whole host of items from alcohol to plastic bags and unused excise stamps.
- 14 kilos of shisha tobacco
- 272 bottles of alcoholic beverages which included whisky, gin, rum, brandy and several liqueurs.
- 221 bottles of wine which did not have their excise tax paid;
- 1,230 non-alcoholic drinks;
- 2,393 plastic bags; and
- a total of 725 unused excise stamps.
The latest report follows two previous customs busts which took place in April.