Watch: Construction worker dies, another seriously injured after Bormla construction site collapse

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A construction worker has tragically lost his life while another was seriously injured after a construction site partially collapsed in Bormla on Thursday morning.

A police spokesperson told Newsbook.com.mt that the incident which was reported at around 8am happened on Sqaq l-Erwieħ.

District Police, members of the Civil Protection Department and a medical team were immediately deployed on site.

A wall collapsed during excavation works on site, the police media officer explained to reporters on site. The person who lost his life is a 32-year-old man from Gambia. The other construction worker, 35, of Valletta, is in a critical condition was rushed to Mater Dei Hospital in an ambulance. The condition of the construction worker has not been certified yet, according to the police statement.

In a statement the Police said that Health and Safety Department Officials as well as officers from the Building Regulation Office were also on site.

Magistrate Charmaine Galea is leading the inquiry.

The Bormla District Police are investigating the case.

The Occupational Health and Safety Authority, OHSA, also issued a statement saying that it is carrying out an investigation on the fatal accident which occurred on Thursday morning in Cospicua.

From its initial investigations, OHSA, said that it transpired that the accident was caused by the collapse of a temporary boundary wall, next to which excavation was being or had been carried out.

OHSA said it will continue with its own investigations and cooperating with the ongoing Magisterial Inquiry led by Magistrate Charmaine Galea. The Building and Construction Agency was also alerted to investigate under the Avoidance of Damages to Third Party Property Regulations, said the Authority.