These are the main stories reported on today’s newspaper front-pages in Malta.
The Times leads with government’s order for closure of shops and services that fall within the non-essential category to limit the spread of the virus. The mandatory shutdown is effective from today and any breaches will incur a €3,000 fine.
The Independent reports that 17 new coronavirus cases have been found by the health authorities, ten of which were travel related and the rest were locally transmitted. This brings the total number of cases in Malta to 90 by Sunday.
L-Orizzont says that organised public gatherings are prohibited as part of the latest measures to control the spread of the virus. The paper says that more than 2,000 inspections have been conducted so far and 23 fines have been issued by officials.
In-Nazzjon quotes PN Leader Adrian Delia who said that the government is being tight-fisted with business and workers and called for an improved aid package that ‘re-invests’ the wealth created by companies throughout these years into their employees and families.
L-Orizzont quotes Prime Minister Robert Abela who said that the government wants to rescue businesses and make sure that jobs are not lost, indicating that new measures to support companies will be announced.
The Times picks up a Chamber of SMEs statement which warned that part-time employees in the leisure industry are among the first to feel the effects of the Covid-19 measures. The Chamber warned of serious repercussions if the situation is prolonged.
The Independent quotes Health Minister Chris Fearne who said that in the past months, the government has been busy training health professionals in preparation for the outbreak. He also said that the opening of new testing hubs will be announced shortly.
In-Nazzjon says that reported Covid-19 cases around the world have surpassed the 300,000 mark. Meanwhile German Chancellor Angela Merkel will go into self-quarantine after recently coming into contact with her physician who tested positive for the virus.