Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects, Ian Bog has inaugurated the tug boat Vittoriosa, which is the second out of three tug boats which Tug Malta Ltd had committed to in 2017, for an investment of €24 million. The first tug boat St Angelo, was inaugurated in 2018.
The inauguration took place at St Angelo Wharf in Vittoriosa. The new tug was blessed by Rev Can Karm Busuttil, parish priest at Vittoriosa, and christened by Rachelle Borg Dingli in the presence of Rimorchiatori Riuniti Group (RRG) president Giovanni Dellepiane, RRG former managing director and chairman Gregorio Gavarone and Tug Malta Ltd chairman John E Sullivan as well as others.
Some facts on the Vittoriosa:
- It is an 81-tonne bollard pull harbour and escort tug;
- The vessel is a compact and powerful unit with LNG terminal compatible tug features, twin MTU 16v4000M65L main engines each developing 2,560kW, along with Rolls Royce supplied thrusters and heavy duty escort towing winch and other escort capabilities;
- Equipped with fire-fighting Class 1 system and equipment to provide safety standby emergency and environmental response in teh local harbours and coastal waters of Malta;
- Is a Robert Allan RAstar 3000-W design that was built and delivered by Med Marine Shipyard of Eregli in Turkey;
- Registered under the Maltese flag.