Mizzi’s contract rescinded

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A lucrative consultancy contract given to disgraced former Tourism Minister Konrad Mizzi is being terminated with immediate effect, the Ministry for Tourism said in a short statement issued on Tuesday afternoon.

On Monday, Times of Malta revealed that the disgraced former minister was given an €80,000 consultancy contract by the Malta Tourism Authority, two weeks after Mizzi resigned as Tourism Minister in the wake of Yorgen Fenech’s arrest over the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia.

On Tuesday, Tourism Minister Julia Farrugia Portelli told the press that she will act once she has received legal advice on what to do on the contract. She added that she only got to know that her predecessor got the lucrative consultancy contract on Monday.

In a statement, the Tourism Ministry said that after it sought legal advice, it has instructed the Malta Tourism Authority to terminate and rescind the contract awarded to Mizzi in December 2019 with immediate effect. The Ministry added that to date, Mizzi received no remuneration in connection to this contract.

Opposition wants the Public Accounts Committee to look into the contract

The Opposition has written to the Public Accounts Committee to consider the contract. In a letter addressed to PAC chairperson and signed by Opposition and Partit Nazzjonalista leader Adrian Delia and Opposition shadow spokesperson for Tourism Robert Arrigo, the Opposition said that the Committee should consider the matter as urgent. The committee should determine whether financial rules had been followed, whether the board of the MTA had known about the deal and whether the go-ahead of the finance minister was sought when the contract was awarded.