The Partit Nazzjonalista listed a number of recommendations related to the mental health sector, in order to mark World Mental Health Day.
The Party encouraged the Government to consider the following recommendations related to mental health in a statement. These are as follows:
- Visits to professionals are organised to people from a young age so that treatment could be administered as early as possible. It has been scientifically proven that 50% of the youth suffering from mental health issues show the first symptoms at the age of 14 while this figure reaches 75% at the age of 20.
- To take the mental health sector seriously and address the challenges at Mt Carmel Hospital.
- Increase mental health treatment in the community
- Establishes a Crisis Intervention Team
- Increases the number of psychologists, psychotherapists, social workers, occupational therapists, and psychiatric nurses
- Increases the number of supported housings so that those who can live within the community are able to leave Mt Carmel
- Increases the campaign against stigma
- Sets up a unit which would provide information and support to relatives of patients
- Builds a new hospital dedicated to mental health which is part of Mater Dei
- Drafts a Mental Health Policy
While encouraging the Government to pursue such initiatives the Party reminded that they were willing to work hand in hand with the government on the mental health sector.
Everyone was encouraged to wear green on Wednesday as a show of solidarity.
If you are going through a rough patch and pass through moments were you dwell on committing suicide call Crisis Resolution Malta on 99339966.