It is well known that I am not a fan of Christmas. In fact I am known as ‘The Grinch’ in my office. However, there is one thing I can tolerate about it and that is Mariah Carey’s famous festive song ‘All I Want for Christmas’.
Any other Christmas song gets my teeth on edge. And don’t get me started on Michael Buble who comes out of his cupboard and starts crooning around mid-November every year *shudder*.
So imagine my dismay when I found out that Mariah Carey’s ‘masterpiece’ is now the most annoying Christmas song ever according to a recent UK poll (this was reported recently by Variety).
The survey, which was commissioned by mobile phone company Huawei, asked its British customers to vote on which holiday songs they found to be most annoying.
Here is the full list:
- All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey
- Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard
- Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade
- Last Christmas – Wham!
- Fairytale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
- Baby It’s Cold Outside – Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Jackson 5
- Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
- Jingle Bells – Andrews Sisters
I have been vindicated however, by BBC Sounds putting the song at the top of their ‘ The ultimate Christmas song list for anyone who grew up in the 90s’.
BRB – off to listen to MC on loop as I scowl at people who have already put their Christmas decorations up.