Malta voices its concern on possible interventions in and around Libya

Members of Misrata forces, under the protection of Tripoli's forces, prepare themselves to go to the front line in Tripoli, Libya April 8, 2019. REUTERS/Hani Amara

The Government has called for a de-escalation of intervention in and around Libya. In a statement, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said that the recent developments concerning the Libyan crisis are worrying. It affirmed that a political and diplomatic solution based on the UN track is the only way forward.

Malta said that for Libya to experience peace, security, stability and prosperity, a long-term and comprehensive ceasefire should be implemented together with an effective implementation of the arms embargo on Libya. 

“Political matters are not to be solved with firearms” – PN

Partit Nazzjonalista said that political matters should be faced and solved civilly and not through war referring to the recent developments concerning Libya. 

In a statement signed by the Opposition spokesperson for foreign affairs Carmelo Mifsud Bonnici and PN’s international secretary Roselyn Borg Knight, Partit Nazzjonalista said that the military conflict in the country will inevitably entail more layers of complications and that it is clear that if no immediate action will only result in escalating matters. The PN that the military interventions in favour or against the involved parties will not lead to a peaceful solution but rather to more problems and wars.

They further noted the various initiatives that are being taken, namely that which is being mentioned in the EU from Italy, together with the United Kingdom, France, Germany, in order to reach an agreement. Moreover they noted that unfortunately, given our current national position, Malta is completely absent.

Protest in front of the Turkish Embassy in Floriana

A group of Libyan people gathered in protest in front of the Turkish embassy in Floriana on Friday morning. On Thursday, Turkish lawmakers approved the deployment of military troops to Libya. The bill was approved 325 in favour to 184 against.

The Libyan government has been fighting an insurgency by forces under General Khalifa Haftar, based in eastern Libya.

Libya has been torn by violence and division since long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and killed in 2011.

Greece, Israel and Cyprus said that the move will further threaten the stability of the region.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week that Turkey was going to deploy troops to Libya to support the Government of National Accord of Fayez al-Serraj.

Two separate agreements were signed by Ankara and the internationally recognised Libyan government concerning on the cooperation of the security and the military forces and another about the maritime frontiers in the West of the Mediterranean.