Updated: 75 asylum seekers to be brought to Malta by AFM

Credit: Alarm Phone

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

A spokesperson for the Armed Forces of Malta confirmed with Newsbook.com.mt that 76 individuals will be brought to Malta later on this afternoon.

The migrants will be brought ashore on board an AFM patrol boat to Hay Wharf, Floriana.

‘Malta fails to assist 75 people in distress,’ – Alarm Phone

A group of about 75 people including 15 women several of which are pregnant have yet to be rescued by the Maltese Armed Forces, migrant hotline Alarm Phone said on Twitter.

According to the information released, the organisation said that the boat left Libya on Sunday. The migrants informed Alarm Phone yesterday afternoon, which in turn informed Maltese authorities.

“So far no rescue operation has been initiated,” Alarm Phone noted.

The people in distress have informed Alarm Phone that a plane was seen circling over the boat however, no assistance came forth.

The migrant hotline tried contacting both Maltese and Libyan Coast Guard, however both were not responsive.

A spokesperson for the Armed Forces of Malta told Newsbook.com.mt that there is no information about the case.

The situation on board the boat has deteriorated, with the people reportedly informing Alarm Phone that ‘water is coming in’.

Alarm Phone called on Prime Minister Joseph Muscat to assist the migrants in distress.