Update 6: Police arrest suspect after 3 killed in Utrecht shooting

A man has been arrested following a shooting in Utrecht which left three people dead, police said.

Update 5: Three confirmed dead; injured revised to five

The Dutch authorities have revised down the number of injured to five, four less than first presented.

Armed police are also still currently outside an apartment which the gunman is believed to be linked to on Trumanlaan (Truman Avenue).
This is understood to be only a few hundred metres from the scene.

Update 4: Three confirmed dead; nine confirmed injured
Police ask for more information about escape vehicle
The Utrecht police force are currently have launched an appeal information regarding the red Renault Clio.
Police are saying that the vehicle had been stolen prior to the shooting and was found on Tichelaarslaan, after the incident took place.
This is the location where armed police have been waiting outside a block of flats.
‘Disbelief and disgust’
The Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte has told the media that the Dutch authorities are investing all their efforts in finding and apprehending the ‘suspect or suspects’ involved in today’s shooting which killed three and seriously injured nine others.
He expressed the country had been ‘jolted’ by the attack and that ‘there is a mix of disbelief and disgust’.
He added that the, ‘Police and prosecutors are looking into what exactly happened. What’s known now is that there was shooting at people sitting in a tram in Utrecht, that there were wounded, and possibly deaths.’
Three confirmed dead; nine confirmed injured
In a video statement, Mayor of Utrecht Jan van Zanen, has confirmed that three people were killed and nine people were injured in the shooting on a tram earlier today.
The Mayor also stated that the ‘Terror motive’ had to be the most probable reason behind today’s attack.

Update 3: Dutch police release image of person of interest
The Dutch police have released a CCTV image of a person of interest in connection with the shooting earlier today.
They name the individual as 37 year old Turkish born Gökmen Tanis. They advise the public not to approach him and to contact the police.

Confusion over suspected car
German authorities have said that they had originally been told to stay on the look out for a red Renault Clio close to the border. However, they were told later that the car had been abandoned in Utrecht.
Dutch police are yet to comment.
Update 2:
Armed police are currently waiting outside a building thought to be where the gunman is hiding, not far from the scene.
REUTERS

 

At least one person has been confirmed killed at the scene of a shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht. Images of the incident show a body draped in a sheet close to the scene of the shooting.  It is still unclear how many more people have been injured in the incident.

The threat level is currently at the maximum with schools having been asked to close and paramilitary police have been employed to boost security at key buildings and transport hubs.

The injured have been taken to the Major Incident Hospital at the University Medical Centre in Utrecht.

On their website, they are stating that, ‘Following the shooting incident on Monday morning in Utrecht, the Emergency Hospital at the UMC Utrecht opened. The first victims have since been taken there. It is still unclear how many victims have fallen. As soon as there is more information, it will follow.’

According to the Dutch public broadcaster, NOS, the gunman is reported to have fled the scene in a red Renault Clio.
There also reports of further shootings at other locations across the city. This comes from the Dutch counter-terrorism agency Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg

20 possible injured, 2 unconfirmed dead; gunman still at large; threat level increased

The National Coordinator for Counter-terrorism and security Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, has confirmed that the threat level in the city of Utrecht has been increased to level 5, the highest level, for the next 18 hours.

He also confirms that the gunman is still at large with the motive of terrorism not currently ruled out.

The Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, is also reported to be in an Emergency meeting with his security attache.

Dutch media has not yet confirmed the number of those injured, however Medical Centre sources close to The European-Islamic Consultancy and Research Institute, say that  around 20 people have been injured, along with two unconfirmed dead.

The Mayor of Utrecht Jan van Zanen, has also echoed the message that the tram shooting is being treated as a potential terror attack.

He called it, ‘A horrible and radical incident in which victims have fallen. “We do not exclude anything, not even a terrorist attack.’

Male gunman opens fire on Dutch tram in Utrecht; gunman still at large

Several people have been injured possibly one killed, after a male gunman opened fire on a tram in the city of Utrecht in the Netherlands.

The Dutch police suspect that one person has been killed in the shooting, according to a spokeswoman.

A reporter for the national broadcaster, NOS has said that they have seen a white sheet placed over a body close to the shooting.

Credit: TWITTER/YELLE TIELEMAN

The incident is reported to have taken place at around 10.45 with the gunman still understood to be at large.

A Dutch police spokesperson had previously said, ‘Several shots were fired in a tram and several people were injured. Helicopters are at the scene and no arrests have been made’

They are currently say they are treating this incident is possibly terror related.

Speaking to an eyewitness, the local broadcaster RTV Utrecht reports that a woman was seen lying on the ground during what appeared to be some kind of confrontation, while other men fled the scene.

The area around the October 21st Square tram station, has been cordoned off by the police.

The tram Operator is now operating an alternative service.