Watch: Reopened shops will continue to benefit from COVID-19 measures

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

COVID19 Economic Support Measures Update

COVID19 Economic Support Measures Update

Posted by MaltaGov on Friday, May 8, 2020

Businesses which have reopened as from Monday, as announced by authorities, will continue to benefit from the COVID-19 economic measures. This has been announced by the Minister for the Economy, Investments and Small Businesses, Silvio Schembri during a press conference on Friday.

The press conference was also addressed by Kurt Farrugia, Chief Executive Officer of Malta Enterprise.

Minister Schembri also explained that those who have applied until April for the wage supplement scheme will receive payments in arrears for March and April but those who have applied in May will benefit from the payments to be distributed during May and June.

During the press conference, the Economy Minister gave also the latest updates on the economic measures aimed at supporting businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The total number of queries received until today by Malta Enterprise is 58,000 an increase of 5,300 queries over last week.

Regarding the Teleworking measure;

  • 655 applications were received
  • 181 have been processed
  • 157 accepted
  • 474 are still pending

From this scheme €150,000 have already been disbursed.

Quarantine Leave measure;

  • 1632 applications were received
  • 1444 have been processed
  • 188 are still pending

This measure has already covered 2,025 employees and €708,751 have been disbursed.

Regarding the wage Supplement measure;

Type of businesses which have applied:

  • Companies – 4,867
  • Self-employed – 14,133
  • Others – 885
  • Total applications received – 19,885

From the 19,885 applications received, 88,461 jobs are safeguarded in Malta and 4,653 in Gozo. This means that a total of 93,114 jobs have already been safeguarded by the measures as announced by the Economy Minister.

Minister Schembri said that employees who fall under Annex A as a category, have increased by 4,777 and the part-time employees have increased by 503, as from last week.

Until today, €33.6 million have been disbursed to companies/employees which fall under Annex A.

In the case of companies falling under Annex B Minister Schembri said that 3,047 applications have been received and €1.5 million have been disbursed.

During the press conference, Economy Minister Silvio Schembri has also referred to statistics published today which confirm that Malta offers the best assistance to those businesses hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.