Malta has a total of 64 coronavirus cases confirmed. On Friday, the Superintendent of Public Health, Prof. Charmaine Gauci confirmed 11 new cases after conducting 249 swabs tests. One of the cases is from Gozo while the first case of health complications due to coronavirus was also confirmed.
During a press conference, Prof. Charmaine Gauci reiterated the health authorities appeal to the public to stay indoors as coronavirus cases locally transmitted are increasing.
A Maltese 69-year-old man was confirmed positive to coronavirus. He has no history of travelling. He is the first confirmed case in Gozo. Prof. Gauci said that the man did not come in contact with people who have recently travelled, however, he attended a meeting with other people and that is where he probably contracted the virus, explained Prof. Gauci.
Another case is of a 63-year-old man who was abroad in Northern Italy. He followed self-quarantine upon his arrival. His case is contained.
Another case is of a 45-year-old Maltese man who travelled to Brazil and returned to Malta via Istanbul. He was accompanied by another person who is being tested.
A 49-year-old Maltese woman, a healthcare worker, has been tested positive. She has no travel history and was not in contact with people who turned out positive to coronavirus.
Another Maltese woman, a 71-year-old is also positive. She works in the tourism industry and had close contact with tourists. Her partner had also tested positive to coronavirus.
Another healthcare worker, a 36-year old female, has been tested positive to coronavirus. She was in contact with another healthcare worker positive to coronavirus.
Another travel-related case is a Spanish male, aged 54, who returned to Malta from Madrid this week. He self-quarantined.
Another case is of a man, 31-year-old Indian national, who was in contact with a cluster of 4 people positive to coronavirus. The man has contracted the virus from his workplace.
A 61-year-old man has been tested positive but is suffering from other health complications as a result of the virus. Profs. Charmaine Gauci said that this is the first case of health complications due to coronavirus. His partner has also been tested positive.
The mother of the 3-year-old child, who was tested positive to coronavirus earlier this month, is now positive to the virus. The woman is 30-years-old.
Coronavirus cases in Malta;
9th March – Fourth coronavirus case confirmed in Malta
10th March – Fifth coronavirus case confirmed in Malta
11th March – 7th coronavirus case confirmed
14th March – 19-year old Maltese tests positive for coronavirus
14th March – Watch: 5 news cases; 18 in total
16th March – 9 new cases of coronavirus – 3 local transmissions
17th March – Watch: 8 test positive to coronavirus; Total now 38
18th March – 10 news coronavirus cases confirmed; 48 in total
19th March – Watch: 5 new coronavirus cases; Total 53