3 new coronavirus cases confirmed; Total of 12 ‘imported’ cases

professor charmaine gauci
Miguela Xuereb

Tista' taqra bil- Malti.

LIVE: Konferenza dwar l-aħħar żviluppi tal-coronavirus f'Malta

Posted by Newsbook.com.mt on Friday, March 13, 2020

The Superintendent for Public Health Prof. Charmaine Gauci confirmed 3 new coronavirus cases in Malta.

These 3 new cases are the 10th, 11th and 12th cases confirmed.

During a press conference Profs. Gauci said that 2 men and a woman have resulted positive to COVID-19.

One of the two men is a 45-year-old Matese who returned to Malta last week, on the 7th of March and showed symptoms on the 11th of March.

Prof. Gauci said that the man is self-employed and did not make contact with other people except for his relatives.

The other man is a 40-year-old Italian man who lives in Malta.

Gauci said that the man was in Paris and returned to Malta on the 6th of March and showed COVID-19 symptoms on the 10th of March. The Italian man works through an online system and so he did not come in contact with any people/colleagues.

Prof. Gauci confirmed the woman is a health care worker, not a nurse and she did not contract the virus from Mater Dei hospital but the woman felt the symptoms a day after returning to Malta from Brussels on 9th March. The woman worked on the 10th but showed symptoms on the 11th of March.

All possible close contacts are being monitored.

Health authorities said that the 3 persons are in good medical health and are being treated. Prof. Gauci also said that all 12 cases are imported cases and not transmitted locally.

She also confirmed that one of the 12 cases, a woman, has recovered and when tested again against coronavirus, the results came back negative twice, in 24 hours.

The Superintendent for Public Health also said that possible close contacts to the new cases are also being monitored and also tested against coronavirus.

Gauci also said that health authorities inform the media and the public on newly reported cases not when swab tests are carried out but when cases are actually confirmed.

Regarding the helpline, Prof. Gauci said that another centre has been opened in Mosta to better cater to the public’s concerns and they are also assessing and monitoring the situation in Malta and in other countries especially neighbouring countries.

Prof. Gauci mentioned the measures announced yesterday by Prime Minister Robert Abela and also emphasised on the importance of reduced social contact and to protect the most vulnerable especially the elderly.

Newsbook.com.mt asked the Superintendent for Public Health if health authorities will take action to address the exaggerated prices at which sanitizers are being sold to the public. Prof. Gauci said that discussions are underway to address the situation.

Discussions are also underway on what measures should be taken by Language Schools in Malta in view of the latest developments, Prof. Gauci confirmed.

If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.