Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Families left homeless last year vented their frustration during the silent protest held on Tuesday evening in memory of Miriam Pace. A silent protest following the latest building collapse which claimed the life of a 54-year-old woman who was inside her home when the building came down due to ongoing excavation works on an adjacent site.
The incident happened on Monday at around 2.15pm on Triq Joseph Abela Scolaro in Ħamrun. Six individuals have been arrested in connection with the fatal building collapse.
Survivor Caroline Micallef who lost her family residence last year had a heartfelt outburst during the protest stating that the powerful should stop bullying ordinary individuals. The woman said that she worked her fingers to the bone only to end up homeless last year. She spoke about her ongoing saga and issues with the insurance, saying that the latter would like to patch the flat instead of rebuilding it. She asked how could she go back to her flat and feel safe.
“Not only you almost killed us the first time, now you are trying to kill us a second time,” Micallef stated. “We’re escaped alive only for ten minutes.”
Micallef said that although she did not personally know Ms Pace it felt like she knew her all her life.
Repubblika President Vicki Ann Cremona said that they expect Infrastructure Minister Ian Borg to resign since he was in charge of the reform last year. Speaking to Newsbook.com.mt Cremona also referred to the link between corruption and the construction industry, saying that the rule of law NGO was present on site to denounce such corruption. She called on for a proper urban planning system.
Rule of law NGO Repubblika in a Facebook post called for a silent protest on the street where the incident happened. The NGO urged the public to join them at 7pm on Tuesday, close to the site on Abela Scolaro Road, Ħamrun. “Someone is responsible for this murder. We want justice,” the message ended.
Another protest was also called for Saturday by Moviment Graffitti.