Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
The consistory during which Bishop Mario Grech will be created cardinal will be broadcast on Newsbook.com.mt on Saturday at 4.00pm. Twelve other cardinals will be created during the same ceremony.
Two of the candidates will not be travelling to Rome because of restrictions due to coronavirus. These are Cardinal Elect Sim from Brunei and Cardinal Elect Jose Fuerte Advincula from the Philippines.
Due to the pandemic only a limited number of people will participate physically in the ceremony.
Cardinals wear the colour red which indicates their willingness to sacrifice themselves to the point of shedding their own blood, in the service of the Successor of Peter. They will also become the titular of a parish in Rome so that they are incardinated in the Church of which the Pope is Bishop.
This is the list of those who will be created a cardinal:
- The Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops, Bishop Mario Grech
- The Italian Marcello Semeraro, former Bishop of Albano and the new Prefect for the Congregation of the Causes of Saints.
- The Archbishop of Kigali, Rwanda, Antoine Kambanda
- The Archbishop of Washington, United States, Wilton Gregory
- The Archbishop of Capiz, in the Philippines, Jose Fuerte Advincula
- The Archbishop of Santiago, Chile, Celestino Aós Braco
- The Apostolic Vicar of Brunei, Cornelius Sim
- The Archbishop of Siena, Italia, Augusto Paolo Lojudice.
- The Guardian of the Franciscan Sacro Convento in Assisi, Mauro Gambetti.
- Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Archbishop Emeritus of San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Mexico)
- Former Apostolic Nuncio Silvano Tomasiwho also worked in the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development
- Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa, preacher of the Papal Household
- The pastor of the Shrine of Divine Love, Father Enrico Feroci.