Watch: ’60 adolescents required treatment for substance abuse in 2018′

Partit Laburista leader Joseph Muscat said that 60 adolescents required treatment for substance abuse in 2018, during a Labour party activity on the campaign trail on Friday evening.

Speaking at a tent activity in Żurrieq, Muscat addressed the theme of social infrastructure and spoke about the Tal-Ibwar project in Ta’ Kandja of which its commemorative stone was blessed on Friday morning by Archbishop Charles Scicluna. Muscat explained that society is made of various forms of infrastructure, one of which is the social dimension.

READ: Archbishop Scicluna blesses a commemorative stone at Caritas Malta’s new therapeutic centre

He said that to date, there is no proper facility which could assist youths in rehabilitation from substance abuse despite repeated calls made by the judiciary to address this need. Muscat explained to the activists gathered, that to date, such youths would either end up in Mount Carmel Hospital or at rehabilitation centers with adults lacking proper youth-centered facilities or in prison. Explaining further the project embarked upon together with Caritas Malta, the Labour leader said that some €3 million were already invested in the project while the government will be investing some €750,000 annually to operate the center.

Muscat mentioned that similarly, those who have been affected with life-changing injuries will be transferred to a facility which will help re-integrating them into society after such a project was announced last week.

On medical professions and social work

Muscat reiterated that Malta still requires more nurses as well as pharmacists. He said that some 400 nurses are needed, and urged the youths to take up medical professions. He also spoke of unsung heroes such as social workers, psychologists, psychotherapists, youth workers, among others.

READ: “We need an additional 400 nurses” – Fearne

On debating PN leader

The PL leader said that the media had already reported that there will be only two debates in which the public will see Muscat and Delia spar in televised debates. He said that one had already taken place while the other one will take place next week. Muscat claimed that there was no debate scheduled for Friday night arguing that Partit Nazzjonalista leader Adrian Delia must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.