The Italian government is working on penalties it could apply against Atlantia following the fatal bridge collapse in Genoa, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Tuesday
“This file (on penalties) is in my bag and has been travelling with me these last few days,” Conte said in an interview in Il Corriere della Sera.
Atlantia unit Autostrade per l’Italia operates the bridge in Genoa which last week collapsed killing more than 40 people.
Conte said the 500 million euros offered by Atlantia to help the victims of the disaster was a modest amount.
“They could quadruple or quintuple that in the meantime,” he said.
Asked if the government planned to nationalise the motorway concession sector, Conte said the government was examining the best way to meet the public interest.
He said Rome had already received alternative offers to Atlantia to rebuild the bridge.