Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Repairs on the Malta-Sicily interconnector have been completed, the Energy Ministry said in a statement on Friday.
The interconnector had been damaged when a vessel’s anchor was dragged over the seabed. Enemalta was forced to use other energy sources due to the damage caused to the interconnector. A number of power outages took place during the time when the interconnector was out of use.
Tests are currently taking place on the underwater cable. Energy Minister Michael Farrugia explained that the a ‘soak test’ was taking place. The procedure involves lowering the cable into the sea and switching it on. However, at this stage there was no power load being placed on it.
Minister Farrugia said that the some time was lost during adverse weather conditions which caused the repair works to be halted for some days. He noted that despite the adverse weather conditions, the interconnector was repaired in under three months, half the time it was expected to take.
The ongoing tests are yielding positive results, the Minister said. He added that if it continues to be the case, the interconnector could be operational from tonight. Thus Malta will have its electricity supply once again generated through a mixture of the interconnector, the power stations and renewable energy, he said.
Minister Farrugia thanked all the workers who have been working on the repairs.