Tista' taqra bil- Malti.
Disgraced former prime minister Joseph Muscat said that he did not end his career as he wished to and had to shoulder responsibility.
The former prime minister quit parliament on Monday following a 90-second speech. Muscat had already stepped down as prime minister in January after his office became increasingly linked to the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia. Muscat always denied wrongdoing.
Muscat became Partit Laburista leader in 2008. He was elected to parliament in 2013 when he became prime minister and was re-elected in 2017; thus spending twelve years in parliament – five as Opposition leader while the rest as prime minister.
Muscat gave his first interview following his resignation from parliament on Tuesday. The interview was hosted on il-Pjazza hosted by Karl Stagno Navarra on the party’s media.
He said that when he decided to go in for politics he always aimed at doing three terms – one in opposition and two in government.
Back in October, Muscat had told reporters that the 2020 budget would not be his last one, only to announce in December that in January he would step down as prime minister and party leader following an internal Partit Laburista leadership election.
Muscat remarked that his career did not end as he had wished for saying that he felt heartbroken at how his tenure as prime minister ended.
“The situation was clear that I had to shoulder mine and others’ responsibilities for the sake of the country,” he said.
During the same interview, Muscat also spoke about the coronavirus outbreak in Malta and the government’s response, as well as called on making education compulsory until the age of 18 among other things.