Still haven’t taken the plunge? Try this easy bread recipe which does not use yeast.
- 515g all purpose flour
- 1 & ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 40g honey or 25g sugar
- 1 and ¾ cup buttermilk – to prepare buttermilk add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar and the the 1 and ¾ cup of milk and whisk together, let sit for 5 minutes before use.
- Optional – 1 tablespoon oats for topping.
- Preheat oven to 400F/240C/Gas Mark 6
- Whisk flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl and set aside ( for flavour you can add a tablespoon of any herbs you prefer for extra taste)
- In a separate bowl mix the melted butter,honey or sugar together.
- Pour into the flour mixture and combine.
- Pour in buttermilk a little at a time and mix everytime you add the buttermilk.
- Pour dough and any flour crumbs that haven’t been incorporated onto a lightly floured surface and work the dough into a ball.
- Flatten the dough ball down a bit (if dough is too sticky add more flour)
- Transfer into a prepared dish & brush with 1 tablespoon of buttermilk
- Using a sharp knife score an X into top of dough without scoring.
- Sprinkle with oats or sea salt on top (optional)
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
Recipe thanks to Baked With Love