In view of the coronavirus scenario, the Gozo Tourism Association, GTA, is calling on the government for more bold and drastic measures to support for the Gozitan tourism establishments and their employees.
The Gozo Tourism Association is calling on the government to announce a specific support financial package for the Gozitan tourism sector.
“Government is to intervene to mitigate the heavy loses the tourism sector on Gozo has to carry,” said the GTA
In a press statement, the association said that establishments who mainly depend on tourism have no alternative and are now contemplating to close down.
The GTA has listed the following measures;
- The forfeiting of the licenses for 2020, payable by tourist establishments to the various entities like MTA, MRA, TM, Lands etc
- The setting up of a wages fund to be used specifically to retain the present tourism workforce
- Temporary measures to safeguard the employee’s jobs without additional burden on the employer
- The Government forfeiting of the national insurance contributions in order to avoid redundancies until the removal of travel restrictions
- Refund by the government for the quarantine leave that is being burdened on the employer
- An adequate and extensive marketing campaign for the destination, so as to enable a swift recovery in the medium term, once the travel restrictions are lifted
The Gozo Tourism Association said is available to discuss these measures and other actions with the competent Authorities
If you want to be the first to receive the latest news on the coronavirus in Malta, download the Newsbook APP here.