Gozo jobs increase by 41.4% since 2013

The number of full-time jobs in Gozo has increased by over 40% between the end of 2013 and the start of the year, with the increase almost entirely due to the private sector.

Figures tabled in Parliament by Finance Minister Clyde Caruana in reply to a parliamentary question by Opposition MP Clyde Caruana show that 9,526 people were working full-time in Gozo. Of these, 5,812 worked in the private sector, while 3,714 worked in the public sector.

The total number of people working full-time in Gozo increased to 13,470 by January 2020, representing an increase of 41.4%. While the number of public sector jobs has remained largely steady – increasing by 3.3% to 3,838, the number of private-sector jobs increased by 62.6% to 9,632.

Men accounted for 62.5% of all full-time workers in Gozo (8,429) while women accounted for the remaining 37.5%.

But the gender imbalance is far more pronounced in the Gozitan private sector, where men accounted for 79.5% of all full-time jobs. This gender imbalance has actually worsened in the private sector since the end of 2013, when men accounted for 74.2% of all full-time jobs.

In contrast, men accounted for 58.8% of all Gozitan jobs in the public sector last January, down from 62.6% at the end of 2013.

While more recent unemployment figures are available, no figures on employment rates since the arrival of the Covid-19 pandemic have been made available. The figures thus provide no indication of the impact of the pandemic on the Gozitan jobs sector.